After reading all nine pages of your suggestions, I decided to give a vinegar&salt a go! I scubed it hard (painful!), till it almost bled, then rinsed with clear water, and applied vinegar only and let it dry! then I applied antifungal cream with steroids(for the itching) which I got from the doc and which didn't help before the scrubing! I understand now, that's what you have to do! scrub the layer of skin that builds up on the patch, dry it with anything - vinegar, alcohol, peroxide, mouthwash...anything that dries your skin and then apply antifungal cream, it will help because it will get sraight on to the ringworm since you scrubed the dead skin away! Good luck to everyone!
I had ringworm for near 9months, was at my wits end with it. 80% of my body was destroyed!! Tried over the counter products, prescrition tablets/creams with no avail. Used iodine for roughly 3wks... It helped but started to scar. I dont know where i got the idea from but started to use lemon juice on the lesions. Stung like hell but really worked:) Not a blemish now:)
I've been getting it on and off now for years. It seems horrible, but in reality it's just ugly. I've tried everything on this site and various others. Most with negative outcomes. Quite frankly, most of these home remedies are just crazy. What probably happens is they get desperate and try something and because the ringworm has already run its course, they think what ever they just tried last cured it. Lamasil and time are the 2 best cures. It works every time and faster than anything else. The jiu-jitsu world likes acidophlius. A pro-biotic found in yogurt. Theory says the two bacteria compete for the same food source. I haven't got any ringworm since i started eating it, but again it could just be coincidence. Don't try anything stupid, lamasil and time is all you need.
I use athlete foot cream and within a day u can tell a big difference and within 3 days it is gone. No painful methods and it is very safe for children and kids.
So after fighting a persistent patch of ringworm on the palm of my hand for 2 months with various OTC creams which didn't work, I was getting desperate. No matter what I put on it, it only seemed to make it spread. I was getting ready to give my doctor a call and request a prescription which I knew would be costly with no guarantee of success. Before making the call, I searched on line for home remedies and this one came up over and over....Absorbine Jr. I thought it couldn't possibly be that easy, but why not give it a try. Well, within hours of the first application there was a noticable 'drying out' of the patch on my hand. By the next day, I knew I had found the cure. It is now day 2 and the ringworm is virtually gone! I'll continue to apply the Absorbine for a week or so to make sure this nasty fungus doesn't return. And I will never waste my hard earned money on Lamasil, Lotrimine or Chlortrimazole again!
Go tanning!! I had ringworm on my stomache so I went tanning. It was dried out the next day and hardly visible after two days. Keep using ointment on it though.
Please be careful as I thought that I had ringworms and struggled with many creams and ideas posted online to find out (it took 4 doctors!) that I actually had Pityriasis rosea, a much preferred diagnosis. This fungus starts looking like a ringworm but soon spreads as little dots on the stomach and back. It goes away by itself and doesn't return supposedly. It may take up to 8 weeks. Now, it nearly has all cleared away, 6 weeks after the initial outbreak. It does not require anything and is not contageous. I wish I had known as I did my share of showering, laundry and tried all possible creams!
Ok after reviewing the posts I compiled an 'all-in-one' list and here is my Thesis/Symptoms:
I contracted the ringworm fungus from my dog and the site was low on my shin above the ankle. I was using large bandaids with Clotrimazole anti fungal cream for a period of 5 days. It DRAMATICALLY INCREASED THE INFECTION. Needless to say, it may work for some but had drastic adverse results for me. I don't suggest it. I found this site because my ankle started collecting fluid and was swelling badly from how much the Clotrimazole was enhancing the growth rate and I was in a panic from the pain and swelling. After I collected my supplies and applied the compound, the swelling went down by half in the first hour and the pain is gone.
Thesis: You will need to locate a Wal-mart super center and bring 1 $20 dollar bill.
1) 70% isopropyl alcohol
2) small pack of cheapest disposable razors 4count
3) 1 pack of cotton balls
4) 1 box of 50count Ansell latex free gloves
5) 1 bottle of Hollywood Beauty Tea Tree Oil
6) 1 small bottle of Iodine Tincture in a brown bottle (not the imitation type. get the actual iodine)
7) 1 small clove of garlic
8) 1 small bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar
9) 1-2 packs of LARGE bandaids that will cover the infected area. Plain bandaids are fine, Gauze may be needed instead so use that and BUY MEDICAL TAPE TOO!!!
* I had the rest at home
10) pack of dixie cups
11) 1 can of salt (you will need a lot)
12) a tupperware dish large enough to rest the appendage in if needed (for me I put my foot in it to catch the excess product runoff)
13) Disposable paper towels
14) something to bite down on (no bullshit)
Assault on Fungus begins.
1) Mince 2 cloves of garlic or cut into as tiny of slices you can possibly get and take 2 spoons, put the slices in one and press down onto it with the other until it is good and mushy. Put the minced garlic into 1 dixie cup and add 1 Tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar. Allow it to sit and soak for 10 minutes prior to starting. Take this time to get mentally prepared.
2) place yourself in a comfortable position in your bath tub and put on gloves. you will need to have easy access to running water.
3) take one razor and shave all hair off the affected area and atleast a couple inches around it also. Rinse off thoroughly (fungus feeds on the hair and attaches easily to it spreading the infection plus you won't pull out hair when removing bandaids)
4) Bite down on what ever you got.
5) while close to running water, place a small portion of salt in your hand and SCRUB HARD on the damp area of infection. It will remove all the infected gunky skin, clean and open up the pores and hurt like hell. RINSE. I suggest you do this twice cause your gonna probably wuss out half way through.
6) Mix Alcohol and iodine together 30% alcohol 70% iodine or 40/60 in another dixie cup. You only need a table spoon tops of the iodine so just a little alcohol is needed. I would wait until this step to mix them up due to both of them having rapid evaporation properties. Then take a cotton ball and dip in the solution you made and trace around the outside of the ring in a spiral shape closing in on the center of the infected area. It is painful but take a 2nd dry cotton ball and pat dry. DO THIS 2X ATLEAST! It hurts but suck it up. The worst is over.
7) Now take a new cotton ball and COAT the infected area. NOT SOAK.
8) This part takes some finesse and patience. Now take your Minced garlic that has been soaking the whole time and scoop it out of the cup. It is tricky buy you basically need to PILE IT ON EVENLY over the entire infected area PREFERABLY EXCEEDING THE RING. If it is on your back, neck or head then have someone do it for you. It does not have to be pretty but don't let it be crappy. It needs to be a SOLID COAT of garlic over the area.
9) Lastly as it sits and starts soaking in, take another alcohol soaked cotton ball and clean the surrounding border of the coated garlic region to wipe up all remaining Oil, Ooze, Vinegar, and water.
You want it perfectly dry. Now take your large bandaids or gauze and place SECURELY over the garlic coated area and tape or apply the sticky portion to the cleaned, shaved skin. If using Gauze, tape all 4 sides generously and seal it off.
10) REPEAT 3X DAILY AND GOOD LUCK!!!
Thoroughly clean your tub, clothes, sheets, and hands frequently. Do not use a towel to dry the infection only use cotton balls and dispose of them securely so a child or animal will not have access to the infected trash and pass it along unknowingly. DRYNESS IS KEY!!! The fungus thrives off of moisture and apparently fucking Clotrimazole so keep it dry.
This works!!!! I am a jiu-jitsu fighter and ringworm is common... We dont even worry about it..why? Garlic.
Items. Minced Garlic. Big Bandaids. Apple Cidar Vinegar
1- Take warm shower and gently clean area. I also like to gently shave around the area.
2- Dry area. Can use Blow Dryer as to not rub area.
3- Put minced galic on Bandaid. Put it on thick so you cant see the pad. Put on infected area. Completely cover area.
4- I like to wrap it in an Ace bandage. Leave on for 4-6 hours... ( IT Will Burn !!!!) suck it up.
Warning if on face neck or sensitive area be careful and do less time.
5- repeat 3 days.. it should be dry and crusty. Looks red but not swollen.
6- After 3rd day it will be DEAD!!! Now use Apple Cider Vinegar for the next 2 weeks... 2xs per day or more..
This should do it... Again this is an Aggresive fix.. It will burn as it is dying...
I say KILL it off you Fast...
I have been suffering with ringworm from 2 years. one of friend told me to apply colgate toothpaste to the effected area.my ringworm was gone in just 3 days.it works lile charm