My Home Remedies

Poison Ivy Home Remedies

316 Home Remedies for Poison Ivy

Anonymous

BLEACH many years ago the dr told my mom to let us spend lots of time in the pool that the chlorine would dry it up so we went one better and used straight bleach. its the ONLY cure that provides fast results. and the stinging actually feels good compared to the itch. feel free to scratch away first;it will work that much faster

becky

Shoe polish .. my mom was highly allergic and wiping on shoe polish keeps it from spreading and kills it..

Anonymous

Pine tar soap! Works every time! It drys the blisters out, and they'll be gone in a few days Max!

Anonymous

When I got poison ivy, I tried Calamine lotion as well as Tecnu. But neither one of these worked as well as ALOE VERA to heal the bumps and blistering skin fairly quickly. I tried fresh gel from my aloe vera plant. However, I also tried store bought 99.3% ALOE VERA GEL, Herbal Authority brand. I do not wish to endorse any ALOE VERA GEL brand over another. But I would like to state that, for me, the store bought ALOE VERA seemed to work better for me than the ALOE VERA GEL from my actual ALOE VERA plant. The bottled ALOE VERA GEL also contains vitamin C, potassium sorbate and carrageenan added. This may explain why it was more effective than the fresh ALOE VERA GEL. Here is what I did: I applied the ALOE VERA GEL to the affected areas, my arms and leg. It increased the itchiness. You have to resist scratching or it will make your skin worse. Allow the ALOE VERA GEL to air dry. Or if you cannot bear the itchiness, try to dry it with a cool temperature hair dryer. Once the ALOE VERA GEL dried, the itchiness should decrease.

Anonymous

Go swimming in a pool with chlorine. I used to getbubble bt my fingers even on my genitals. Chlorine is simular to bleach and will destroy it.

Bill

I just bought a home in September. Since then I've only been poison ivy free maybe three or four weeks total and its been five months. I've spent a fortune on tecnu, ivy block and the like without much success or relief. It was getting so bad I thought about selling my dream home and moving back to the city. I found the website and read every post. I had tried most of them with mixed results. Even tried the bleach cure. That was not fun but I was desperate. My frustration is that no-one has found a way to detect the oil so you don't know if your treatment has worked especially when you are trying to sanitize your clothes, gloves or tools. you have to pray you got it all. I had been thinking of potential cures for a very long time. Then one day on my way from work, it hit me. We're dealing with an oil. As a kid working on bikes, I use to get grease and oil all over me. I use to keep a tub of this stuff called Goop in the garage. It was a miracle cleaner. No matter how greasy or oily you were, Goop would dissolve it in seconds. So I diverted from going home and went straight to the hardware store. They didn't have Goop but they had GoJo Original and it looked just like the Goop tub I remembered. So I bought it. For me, I always know when I'm getting the rash because I can feel a tingling or burning sensation in the affected area. I woke up one morning with the worst case scenario, I had it on my face. I very carefully applied the GoJo on the affected area and let it sit until it felt like a lotion on my skin. (maybe a minute or two at most). Then I carefully washed it off with a washcloth. By the end of the day I could tell it wasn't getting any worse. By the next day, you couldn't tell it was there. yeah. Then I got it again, this time in like five different locations. The directions say to wet your skin first but it's not necessary if you don't have water available. So I hopped in the shower and covered myself from head to toe with the GoJo before getting wet. I rubbed it in till it felt like I was covered in a lotion. Then washed it off with just water and then washed my whole body off with normal soap and water. That was yesterday. Today the rash has not gotten any worse and the affected areas have started drying out and peeling. A sign I've come to recognize as it healing. The best thing about the GoJo Original, is that I've found it for $3.99 and $1.99 per tub. I now have a tub in every bathroom, kitchen, my workshop, my tractor, and a tub in my desk at work just in case I start getting the early warning tingling while at work. There are similar products like Gogo Orange or something with the word orange in it. I did not try out the orange products nor will I unless there is no more GoJo Original in the state of Geogia! The GoJo Original is like a gel that quickly turns into a lotion like substance as you work it in. I've found the orange products in liquid form and that's not what I used as a kid, so I stayed away from them. Hope this works for you. Who ever makes the first urushiol detector is going to be rich! Just saying.

john gaulke

HI I was just in schock when I went to your web site and saw my cure for poision ivy at the top !!as I thought about it after I hit submit! I should have mentioned that I left the floor dry on for about 4-5 hr's washed it off then reaplyed thanks for your time ! made my day !! johnny G

john gaulke

I had gotten poison oak one summer and didn't know what I had! after asking others what do think this is they replyed poison ivy or oak ! after searching the internet and got the typical cures with not much luck of a cure I thought to myself what is poision ivy ?? its a oil !that gets under your skin layers ! and what is the best thing for sucking up oil 'well what do I use for the oil mess thats on the floor after I change my car oil' well floor dry !! It is a clay based material that sucks up oil!!so what I did was to put some good grade floor dry 'there are good and not so good floor drys out there get some from a auto parts store ' in my blender and wiped it into a powder then I sprinkled on to the infected airias and like magic the itching was gone and the blisters seemed to vanish in just days I had a light contact on my foot and it was just a red pach and in just hours the red was gone!! cheep and I thought it was the best thing that I used

Anonymous

My mom always says regular dial soap works best at getting rid of the oils without it spreading.

Michael

I am highly allergic to poison ivy. When I get it, I always have to go and get a shot because it just runs along my limbs until I am completely covered.
Several years ago, my wife and I took our young son camping with some other families, all with kids. Our campsite was literally covered with runners of poison ivy. Not wanting the toddlers to get the rash, I took to ripping them out with a shopping bag on my hand thinking that would protect me. Eventually, the bag was ripped to shreds and giving in to the idea that I was just going to have to get a shot, I continued to rip up the runners without protection.
Amazingly, I never got a rash, not the slightest itch. I was so amazed that I did some research on poison ivy to see if I could figure out what happened - why this time was different. I found that the irritant is an oily substance called urushiol. It is also found in other plants including the hulls of cashews and pistachios. Bingo. We had been eating pistachios and cashews all weekend.
Since that time, we have taken cashews and/or pistachios camping with us every time with only one exception. And that is the one time that I have had a hint of poison ivy since my original discovery. And even then, I ate a few pistachios and it cleared up without spreading.
While not scientific at all, I am convinced that they provide some sort of immunity to an outbreak and even help to minimize an outbreak once exposed.
Try it out and post your results here.

Follow us on Twitter to see when new remedies are posted.

<< . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . >>