Have to say I've tried it all. I've been allergic to poison ivy / oak since a child. I asked The Lord one day about it knowing that He had to have created something that would counteract the reaction. Then I remembered as I was praying...I had poison ivy one time before I had gone to the beach. The saltwater dried that stuff up in no time. I just happened to have some Dead Sea mineral salt scrub at home....went to the shower, scrubbed the affected areas (which I had been suffering with for a few weeks), then took Technu or Zanfel (which I had been using religiously; worked temporarily) and washed after I scrubbed with the sea salt to remove the ivy oils. (please know that it will burn a little to scrub with salt but, this is drying up the rash...better than an itch). The ivy dried up in a few days. PRAISE JESUS!! If you know you have come in contact with the ivy, wash with the Technu or Zanfel (or oil removal product) to avoid the rash but, if you do break out, try the sea salt. My mother had a rash to break out on her legs and I told her to use the sea salt and wash with the oil removal product and sure enough, she said it stopped the itch and was happy to finally find something that helped. I pray this helps you all as I know how you feel. Have a blessed day!
I found that Borax works great put on infected areas dry rub it in then wash lathering up thick and rinse off.
My oldest son gets this every year and he is five. Every year I had to take my poor baby to get a shot. So this is what I did and it worked.
1.Mix buttermilk and baking soda.
2.Make a paste (if it don't drop off your finger,your good)
3.put it everywhere your poison ivy.
I have my sin a oatmeal bath before I did the paste. Hope this works for you too.
While in basic training at Fort Knox Kentucky (Poison Ivy capital of the USA) a soldier contracted PI so severely that his hands and between his fingers blistered. His cure was very simple, a cup of bleach to about a sink full of water. This cured his PI in about three days. No blisters or itch after soaking in the bleach/water bath. I verified this cure with my family Dr later after I had gotten out (and using it myself many times) and he agreed that it works, also suggested that I take a washcloth soaked with bleach & water next time I went hiking/camping.
I get Poison Ivy every year working in the yard and I've come to find out that coming in after working and taking a cold shower (which closes your pores) helps prevent the Poison Ivy from spreading so bad. The cold shower keeps the oils from getting into your skin and causing the irritation and bubbling up. But the only sure fire way I know of of clearing it up quickly is the steroids pills the doctor will prescribe for you.
Another thing to rember is that the ivy oil needs to make contact with the skin. If you go into an area where you know the evil ivy is, lather up with skin lotion first. This gives some easy protection for chance enconters.
As a child my brother ad I were coverd in the rash year round. Living in the Saginaw vally it is everywhere. At 16 I spent 2 weeks in the hospital getting massive IV flushes with harsh meds due to having poison Ivy geting into my blood stream and fear of organs shutting down. Then I did not get it once for over 25 yrs. Some imunity build up from the massive med flush. I have since read every article and studied every field guid on the plant. I avoid it when I can but I live in the woods, cut wood, hunt, camp and fish. I am in constsant contact. The poison ivy oil can stay on clothing,shoes, tools and even car seats for up to a year. Use a mild bleach/water/dish soap solution to wipe down everything or you will get it again...
I started getting the ivy again 4 yrs ago. Just a couple pimples and then it would go away. Last year I had a bad bout and today I have it everywhere! face, hair, arms, legs, ears, crotch and netherlands!! I have not been near the woods in weeks. I spent mothers day in the er getting IV's and a 15 day sterroid.
We tried all the over the counter treatments and all failed so We started making our own with trial and error. Here are the best.
A scratch and bleach bath is a must at first. Bleach will remove the excess oil from your skin. Just a 1/4 cup max in the bath water will do the job. Then wash the areas with Phels Naptha soap. Normal house soap will not remove the oil, just spread it. Then tooth paste, Phels Naptha and baking soda paste works to draw out the poison and stop the itch (but ugly and not for the all over rash).
The best we have found for home treatment is scratch first if you must, then mix up cortizone, preperation H (yes, It shrinks, numbs and heals)and triple antibiotic cream. I mix it up in equal amounts in a small container and slather it on. It works! I carry this, Naptha soap and Bleach when ever I go play or work in the woods. If I come in contact with the ivy, I wipe every thig down with bleach, change my clothes asap and take a bath with a couple cap fulls of bleach asap or at the very least wash all exposed areas.
Poison Ivy has to run it's course. You can reduce the spread and itch but everyone's immune system works at different speeds. Be patient and find what works for you.
I am extremely surprised no one has used the banana remedy that I have reed. Take a banana and peel it, throw the banana away or eat, I throw mine away because I would rather stop the itching than eat,lol. Take the inside of the banana peel and rub it on the itchy areas, give it about 2 minutes and you will not itch for atleast several hours. I did this last time I got poison ivy, I would do it right before I went into work and it lasted my whole 8 hour shift and then I would do it before I went to bed and lasted the whole night. Stops the itch better than any product or remedy out there. The relief is amazing.
SOAK A RAG IN SOUR MILK AND APPLY. Let it dry for maybe half an hour. This is a remedy my great-grandmother used, and it is so effective in STOPPING THE ITCH and DRYING OUT THE BOILS. If you don't have any sour milk, just add lemon/lime/orange juice to some milk.
If you are allergic or contract poison ivy,take TIDE WASHING 'POWDER' (not the liquid,the POWDER)and mix with a little water in a cup or bowel. It should make a paste then rub it on your poison ivy. It relieves the itching and irritation. Best of all, it really works!!!