My Home Remedies

Poison Ivy Home Remedies

316 Home Remedies for Poison Ivy

Holly

My Husband has had Posion oak every year. We put lysol on it. It works wonders.

MeLiSsA

CALAMINE LOTION? NO.
HYDROCORTISONE CREAM? NO
RUBBING ALCOHOL? NO.
VINEGAR? NO.
PEROXIDE? NO.
SALT? NO.
BAKING SODA? NO.
HOT (ALMOST SCALDING) WATER? NOPE.

I THOUGHT I WOULD FIND NOTHING TO HELP ME!

AND THEN....

I FOUND THAT STRAIT CLOROX BLEACH WORKED GREAT ON TOTALLY GETTING RID OF POISON IVY, AND QUICKLY.
I HAD NO PROBLEMS ~ IT DIDN'T STING, BURN, OR EVEN IRRITATE MY VERY SENSITIVE SKIN. (I CAN'T EVEN USE BAR SOAP, HAVE TO USE 'CETAPHYL' OR BABY WASH OR I GET A RASH.)
BUT MY POISON IVY WAS GONE WITHIN 2 DAYS OF JUST DABBING BLEACH ON IT WITH A COTTON BALL ABOUT 2 TIMES A DAY.


ANOTHER THING THAT HAS WORKED FOR THE ITCHING AND IRRITATION IS ACETONE NAIL POLISH REMOVER, OR STRAIT ACETONE. (YOU CAN FIND IT WITH THE NAIL POLISH REMOVERS BASICALLY ANYWHERE) IT STOPS THE ITCH, BURNING AND REDNESS ALMOST INSTANTLY, BUT THE BLEACH IS WHAT I FOUND DRIES IT UP, AND GETS RID OF IT.

I HOPE I HELP SOME OTHERS TO CURE THEIR ITCHY~SCRATCHIES!

jerry garrett

i am a chemist. acquired poison ivy. tests results are: yes it is an acid, needing moelecule, oil/grease based, translucent, liquid,...the key to treatment: degrease the oil base. soaps will NOT degrease it entirely. deordants have 'mild degreasers' thus offering a mild solution. salt and water: salts 'take-up' grease from off the skin. the best is hand cleaner (degreaser) from automotive section of walmart. removes GREASE poison completely. immediately skin irritaion relief. any more questions? love jerry.

Anonymous

If you are infected by poison oak, put some 'Technu' (I think that is how it is spelled) on the area.

Stacey Terry

I had poison ivy 4 times last summer and it's back again, quite severely. Last year I went the prednisone and medical doctor route with little success. Refusing to take prednisone ever again, this year I tried a naturopath and between the hot water showers as described on some internet sites and the naturopathic aids, I finally feel like I have a decent solution.

Hot hot showers - gradually increase the water to as hot as you can stand it. The itching will become intense (don't use your nails... just rub!), but it will feel incredibly good and give you anywhere from 4 - 8 hours of itching relief depending on how bad your poison ivy is and how long you stay under the hot water. Be careful not to burn yourself!

Bad blisters - during the day I dip a sterile patch in a saline solution (1 teaspoon of sea salt to 1 cup of water) and place them on the blisters. I cover this with either a light guaze or tensor bandage, and yes, it stings a little. When removing, run the saline solution over the bandages to help prevent the skin ripping. This seems to help dry the blisters during the day and keeps me from scratching at them.

Ointment - 'Candula' made from marigolds. It greatly reduces the inflammation more than anything medical I tried last year. But it's a bit oily, so I just use it on the blisters that are starting to get that dried up look, and I use a clean paper towel to apply.

Immune System - Since poison ivy is an allergic response, try to help out your immune system. I increase my vitamin C significantly. You can find information on the internet about how to do a 'vitamin C flush'. I also increase my intake of herring oil which seems to improve my skin's ability to heal.

There no comparison to how quickly I'm healing this year compared to last, and I'd say the hot showers and the vitamin C are the two biggest influences.

Anonymous

Alright first wash the infected area with soap, next keep the area dry it will spread faster when wet, also dont scratch it or touch any other parts of your body, the best solution is go to your local pharmacy or even your local A&P grocery store and buy MEDICATED CALAMINE Lotion this stuff works the best take some cotton balls and rub it onto wherever you have the poison ivy or poison oak

Chris

Every year I get Poison Ivy at the exact same time, gauranteed from the middle of May to the Middle or June, or sometimes longer. I've gotten it so bad that I can't see because my face was so swollen. This year I've got a nice break out on my arm. It's hardly spread anywhere else so far, and I'm really trying to keep it that way. Heres what I reccomend, Table Salt + Warm Water and then slowly increase the temperature until its very very hot until you can't bear it anymore (don't scald yourself!). That seemed to help with the itching. People have been posting things about pastes to dry it up, I haven't tried any yet. But what I have been using (i know, i know its not home remedy and its pricy - but its worth it if you get this yearly) is this Treatment Spray from Cortaid. Comes in a little spray bottle and works WONDERS. It dries the skin up alomst instantly. It feels like your skin is really sticky, but when you touch it it isn't. I really recommend this spray to anyone. PS: DON'T COVER YOUR RASHES/BLISTERS WITH BAND AIDS OR ANYTHING! I covered mine up for most of the day and it spread twice it's size, bad mistake. Good luck!

Paramedic101

Hello, I've served the city of New Orleans, LA for almost 13 years as a paramedic. I have finished reading some of the input on the site and wanted to clear up some local myth's. Most common misconception... Once infected with Poison Ivey simply scatching can not spread rash. It seems to spread because the body react's to the poison at different rates. (2) Direct contact with plant or contact with object that hold the poison will cause spread. Scratching and bursting the blisters can and most likely will cause infection of the area. Remedies: A topical anti-biotic ointment such as benedryl paste will relieve itching as well as help heal any beginning infections. Clearing the infection site: The key is drying infected areas. Rubbing Alcohol works perfectly. Steps: If severe itching occurs apply benedryl to relieve itching, clear ointment and gently burst blisters and dry area with cloth, apply rubbing alcohol to area 2-3 time's per day. Use benedryl periodically to relieve itching. Rash will clear up in 1-2 day's.

Anonymous

Today marks the 14th day since being in contact with poison ivy in my own back yard, and I'm still itchy with a rash. I had the brilliant idea of having the kids help me do yard work during spring break.

Between the Benadryl, shot and steroid from the doctor all I ended up with was dry skin where I don't have rashes!

I tried the salt rub and it is great. Especially where I have the blisters between my fingers. Just rinse off the salt in cool water, warm water burns a little.

Mr. Didnt learn the 1st time

Poison Ivy, Oak,or sumac, just mix Alum with water until waxy, pasty but still gritty. Use the gritty paste to rub & pop blisters in infected area. Stings to pop them but it works the best. Will notice the ooze within minutes. Apply as often as you can.

Follow us on Twitter to see when new remedies are posted.

<< . . . 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 . . . >>