Most of the over-the-counter products made to remove urushiol from the skin after exposure have deodorized mineral spirits as the active ingredient but cost upwards of $45/oz. So, when I got exposure to the IVY and noticed my arms getting red and rashes just starting to break out I went to Home Depot and picked up a gallon of deodorized mineral spirits for $10. I ran my arms under hot water to open the pours, then scrubbed them ole arms down with a dishwashing sponge drenching them in mineral spirits, let the mineral spirits soak on my skin for a few minutes, then I followed with a good thorough washing of the arms with dawn dish liquid. Then I applied Elidel cream which is a prescription immune suppressing cream used to treat eczema. Next morning my arms were as good as new. I know most people will not have quick access to Elidel since it is a prescription cream but I think the mineral spirits would work just fine if used the same day of exposure. This is the active ingredient in Zanfel, Tacnu, and other Ivy washes. But in a much purer and cheaper form.
I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING FROM CALAMINE TO BLEACH TO OATMEAL BATHS, BENEDRYLE, TECNU ZANFLEX, HOT BATHS, LYE SOAP,BURTS PIOSON IVY SOAP, PILLS STEROIDS, SHOTS, ANTIBIOTICS, CORTAID, DISHSOAP...EVERYTHING!!!!!! II JUST TRIED THE SALT RUB AND WITH GREAT RESULTS SO FAR IT HAS STOPPED THE ITCHING. I HAVE HAD PIOSON IVY FOR 7 MONTHS NOW AND WAS READY TO ACCEPT THIS IS SOMETHING I WOULD HAVE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE! SO FAR IM NOT ITCHING. LETS HOPE IT GOES AWAY! GOOD LUCK
I’ve read all the other cures and most of them seem so painful and none of them ever worked for me. I finally have learned the secret old time preventive cure that is so easy, inexpensive and painless.
I’ve been allergic to poison ivy all of my 43 yrs. I can get it by looking at it through binoculars. The doctors kept telling me the oils from the leaves only stay in your skin for 2 weeks. BULL!! I would get into it in early spring, around April, and would have it until Sept or Oct-first freeze. It would end up in 3”X12” areas of living oozing mass. It seemed to have its own life. I finally ran into a lady camping about 5 years ago that told me her grandmother’s old cure. It is inexpensive, something most everyone has in their cupboard, and is a preventive as well as dries up existing poison ivy. My husband and I usually only take this once in the early spring and we don’t get poison ivy or oak the rest of the summer. If we are going to be rounding up cattle and know we’ll be near and around poison ivy in the fall, we’ll take another dose for safety measure. This is so simple. Take 1 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar (used to make meringue for cream pies) and mix with water-drink. It’s very bitter, like drinking vinegar, but it’s well worth a bad taste in your mouth compared to the suffering of poison ivy. I usually mix it with as little water as possible and have a fresh glass on the side to wash it down.
If I get poison ivy before I got around to taking this remedy it still works. If the rash is bothering me, though, I’ll add water to the cream of tartar and rub it on a couple of times a day. It’s usually gone within a couple of days.
I am only 14 years old, and am VERY prone to poison ivy. When i was younger about 7-8 I was in the hospitol for bad cases of it. Right now i have poison ivy and it sucks. It's spreading everywhere.! I've looked for some home remedies on here with my mom and the vicks vapor cream did not work. So i tryed the rubbing alchohol and it didnt work either. Hydrocortizone cream i found didnt stop the itching but it drys it up. My mom's a nurse so she suggested a few things like washing it with water and salt, applying unker's medicated salve, and soaking my hands and legs in hot water for 20 minutes. The unker's worked very good at getting rid of the itch, so i suggest you try it! Lip balm works too believe it or not. or lipgloss. Having poison ivy sucks and good luck to all you that are reading this right now! =]
First rub salt and white vinegar on affected area then wait 5 minutes.
Next spray or dab clorox bleach on area.
DON'T use hot water! Even if it is soothing, DON'T USE IT!!! It will only make it worse!
Use lye soap. GONE in a day or two. It dries it up. I WOULD HATE TO PUT CLOROX OF ALL THINGS ON MY POISON IVY!!!
Lye soap works.
I watched a show on tv about how to prevent an outbreak of poison ivy.
The man was a plant specialist.He was very knowledgable about the effects of plants on the body.He said to eat a leaf 20-30 minutes before you get in it.He said it worked.I had suffered with the effects of poison ivy for many years before his show.I got up the nerve to try it tried it once and have never had another reaction since that show.While I would advise anyone to use this with caution,it worked for me!
I have poison all over my body it started on my arms then to my legs then my back then all over. My back has the worst itch and theres not much cure for on your back. I itch all over! It's horrible. I got it from a patch by my friends pool with some other plants around it and not knowing it was poison I hit it everytime I went to jump. I go to my grandmas every morning and she has a gel. Its by Band-Aid and its called Anti Itch Gel. It freezes the poison so it has a relaxed feeling and the itch is gone! This stuff is only $2.99 which isn't bad if it works. And it does! Well I hope you all have goodluck with this product. I did!
Ok first of all let me say that almost all of you say take a verry hot bath..NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! do not do that i did and that crap spread like the pleage my dr said thats the worst thing you can do i had so bad i couldnt breath then my cuz told me somthing to use and this took mine away in 24hours..take a luke warm bath and use LAVA SOUP..idustrial cleaning soap..on the poison effected area
This is more of a prevention...To keep from getting poison ivy, oak ect.. I spray my arms and legs with Secret spray deoderant. My Doctor told me about it 5 years ago and knock on wood I haven't had it since.Now i can do all the yard work I want and no worries!!!The deoderant keeps the oil from the poison from staying on your skin.