My Home Remedies

Poison Ivy Home Remedy Comments

43 Comments for the Poison Ivy Home Remedy

MeLiSsA

CALAMINE LOTION? NO.
HYDROCORTISONE CREAM? NO
RUBBING ALCOHOL? NO.
VINEGAR? NO.
PEROXIDE? NO.
SALT? NO.
BAKING SODA? NO.
HOT (ALMOST SCALDING) WATER? NOPE.

I THOUGHT I WOULD FIND NOTHING TO HELP ME!

AND THEN....

I FOUND THAT STRAIT CLOROX BLEACH WORKED GREAT ON TOTALLY GETTING RID OF POISON IVY, AND QUICKLY.
I HAD NO PROBLEMS ~ IT DIDN'T STING, BURN, OR EVEN IRRITATE MY VERY SENSITIVE SKIN. (I CAN'T EVEN USE BAR SOAP, HAVE TO USE 'CETAPHYL' OR BABY WASH OR I GET A RASH.)
BUT MY POISON IVY WAS GONE WITHIN 2 DAYS OF JUST DABBING BLEACH ON IT WITH A COTTON BALL ABOUT 2 TIMES A DAY.


ANOTHER THING THAT HAS WORKED FOR THE ITCHING AND IRRITATION IS ACETONE NAIL POLISH REMOVER, OR STRAIT ACETONE. (YOU CAN FIND IT WITH THE NAIL POLISH REMOVERS BASICALLY ANYWHERE) IT STOPS THE ITCH, BURNING AND REDNESS ALMOST INSTANTLY, BUT THE BLEACH IS WHAT I FOUND DRIES IT UP, AND GETS RID OF IT.

I HOPE I HELP SOME OTHERS TO CURE THEIR ITCHY~SCRATCHIES!

43 comments | Post a comment

Gcort49

I am 61yo and seem to get poison ivy each year since I was a teen. It seems I get it just by walking past it. When I had it as a teen, I noticed some relief after a day at the pool. I could not figure out what made me feel better until I realized it had to be the chlorine. Ever since then, I have been using bleech, and yes, it does work.

Kayleen

alright so I didn't want to use bleach because well that's just ridiculously dangerous. I tried the nail polish remover, made it itchier, but I noticed that several people said that they used acne washes. I don't get bad acne, just a couple pimples occasionally. So, I don't have one of those washes or topical creams specifically for acne, but I have a concelear cream that has salicylic acid in it. I figured that they have the same properties and as long as the poison ivy dried out, then I would be achieving my goal. Right after putting it on, the itch calmed and we'll see how well it works on getting rid of it. good luck! just remember that anything you put on your skin can get into your blood stream and scratching makes it more itchy. if your itching is driving you insane, think about putting socks on your hands, cutting your nails shorter, and taking a benadryl. SCRATCHING MAKES IT WORSE!

Anonymous

I disagree with no hot water. I find that the hotr water releaves the itch and pain and it opens up the blisters to allow for drainage. I'm not too sure about the bleach. Bleach can be toxic so use with caution.

<< . . . 2 3 4 5

Post a comment

Share your name (optional):