My Home Remedies

Poison Ivy Home Remedy Comments

43 Comments for the Poison Ivy Home Remedy

MeLiSsA

CALAMINE LOTION? NO.
HYDROCORTISONE CREAM? NO
RUBBING ALCOHOL? NO.
VINEGAR? NO.
PEROXIDE? NO.
SALT? NO.
BAKING SODA? NO.
HOT (ALMOST SCALDING) WATER? NOPE.

I THOUGHT I WOULD FIND NOTHING TO HELP ME!

AND THEN....

I FOUND THAT STRAIT CLOROX BLEACH WORKED GREAT ON TOTALLY GETTING RID OF POISON IVY, AND QUICKLY.
I HAD NO PROBLEMS ~ IT DIDN'T STING, BURN, OR EVEN IRRITATE MY VERY SENSITIVE SKIN. (I CAN'T EVEN USE BAR SOAP, HAVE TO USE 'CETAPHYL' OR BABY WASH OR I GET A RASH.)
BUT MY POISON IVY WAS GONE WITHIN 2 DAYS OF JUST DABBING BLEACH ON IT WITH A COTTON BALL ABOUT 2 TIMES A DAY.


ANOTHER THING THAT HAS WORKED FOR THE ITCHING AND IRRITATION IS ACETONE NAIL POLISH REMOVER, OR STRAIT ACETONE. (YOU CAN FIND IT WITH THE NAIL POLISH REMOVERS BASICALLY ANYWHERE) IT STOPS THE ITCH, BURNING AND REDNESS ALMOST INSTANTLY, BUT THE BLEACH IS WHAT I FOUND DRIES IT UP, AND GETS RID OF IT.

I HOPE I HELP SOME OTHERS TO CURE THEIR ITCHY~SCRATCHIES!

43 comments | Post a comment

Andy

For the one that said straight clorox bleach didn't burn their sensitive skin while using it for poison ivy must have Rhino skin. It burns like hell and turns the skin bright red. As I am typing this I am waiting with somewhat trama for the skin to settle down. Hope it works after this pain.:(

Anonymous

Thank you for your help on the bleach idea because that is what my father told me to use.

Itchy

Thanks!!!!

chesapeakewind

This is the third day of applying bleach and it is really drying my poison up quickly. This is the first time I have gotten it and am glad I read about the bleach:)

Anonymous

mine is so bad an i was toldot to use it cause it might get in your skin i have scabs size of half dollars and its every where i cant get it to leave does this realywork???

Felicia

I got poison Ivy about three weeks ago. I tried to do home remedies like benedryl, caladryl and even aloe, nothing. I went on vacation and was miserable. Finally I couldn't take it anymore, I went to the Dr. the minute I got off vacation. I recieved a shot of steriods in the butt and was given a prescription for steriods. I finished the medication Monday and Wednesday I noticing more Ivy on the same arm. I tried the bleach today and I see results already. The ivy is oozing and It doesn't sting or burn.

Thank for the tip!

T

These comments are making me laugh as I sit here miserable from my poison ivy rash. Getting ready to try bleach as well. This is my second round in 2 months with the ivy rash this yr. I've tried it all over the yrs-Calagel, Caladryl, Tecnu (which helped the most before). Burt's Bees Poison Ivy Soap which works well too but if you have it bad nothing seems to help. Today I stopped all the other stuff and have been putting gold bond powder on it. Absolutely Do not spend your money on doctors and Steroid shots. Steroids are very bad for you and probably worse than bleach. They also do not work when you are days into the rash (oozing etc..). Several yrs back After days of oozing raised bumps on my forearms (cutting and carrying wood w/o long sleaves)I gave up and went to urgent care. The incompetent doc tells me I don't have poison ivy but he has no idea what I have but it's bad. Says he'll give me a shot anyway because I begged. What a joke. Didn't work. Bottom line...Bleach is derived from sodium chloride..Steroids who the heck knows. I'll take my chances with the bleach.

Anonymous

So, I'm trying the bleach.

p.s. ~ PLEASE DON'T TRY BLEACH ON YOUR FACE/GENITALS!!! ~

Poison ivy's an annual event for me. I usually get a steroid shot, as it tends to turn histemic in me, but am broke & uninsured. This time it's on my legs only, and I hope to stop the spread.

1) I rinsed the rash in very hot water with glycerin soap (to open pores & remove ointment).
2) Using rubber gloves I applied Clorox regular bleach with a cotton round.
3) I let the bleach sit - it did begin to burn after a few minutes (I'd rather deal with the burn than live with the rash).
4) As the area dried, I reapplied with fresh bleach pads. When blisters oozed, I patted with a fresh bleach pad (more painful each application). 5) I did not rinse the bleach off.
About an hour later, the area is red and inflamed with mild scabbing (it's burned). Still some oozing - which I dab with a bleach dipped Q-tip.

It does appear to be doing the job. Although, I do think it's a rather extreme approach.

I completely appreciate the cautions posted by nurses and others!!! Personally, I have a rather high tolerence for pain ~ even with my sensitive skin, and I was willing to chance a burn/scar on my leg.

Anonymous

Poison Ivy will remain for up to 14 days. Most people are allergic, some more so than others. This explains a few posts that think the bleach has worked in 10 days or so, but it is really clearing up on it's own. Also, Poison Ivy does not 'spread'. It is an oil, therefore, when you bathe after you have been exposed, you are really spreading the oil from one area to the other. The most infected area (where the most oil is concentrated) will breakout first, then the other spots will break out, making you think that it is spreading. You must wipe yourself down with rubbing alcohol after you get into the Poison Ivy to prevent the oils from spreading to other parts of your body, or use the other 'poison ivy' soaps mentioned. If you wait too long, you are out of luck. The oil will also be on your clothes, so if you're not careful, it will get on your skin also when you wash the clothes (it is active for up to a week), which is how I was currently exposed by washing my son's clothes. I have a very bad allergic reaction to Poison Ivy (ex. will ooze and not stop, forming a massive rash), which requires the use of steroidal medication from the doctor, or the prescribed cream. It is not the kind of steroids that body builders use, it is a form of it. If you want to be foolish enough to use bleach, go right ahead. I'm just waiting for the post where someone has a very bad reaction to that method. Buy anti-itch cream, wait for it to clear up... if you have a bad reaction like I do, go to the doctor. If you have it on your face... GO TO THE DOCTOR!

Anonymous

it stung a little bit but the bleach does work...it was drying it out instantly and pulling all the oil out of the rash

definitly recommend this

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Post a comment

Share your name (optional):