My Home Remedies

Poison Ivy Home Remedy Comments

10 Comments for the Poison Ivy Home Remedy

Thomas

the two remedies which have worked for me are,1)apply straight bleach to the areas affected several times a day and usually goes away in two to three days and 2)soak a rag in white rubbing alcohol,scratch the rash busting as many blisters as you can then wipe area thoroughly with the alcohol soaked rag as if you were mopping the ivy oil up.sounds weird but instead of burning it produces a cool tingling sensation.Repeat as needed,usually goes away in two to three days.

10 comments | Post a comment

MELISSA

I HAVE USED BLEACH, IT WORKED GREAT ON MY POISON IVY, AND I HAD NO PROBLEMS ~ IT DIDN'T STING, BURN, OR EVEN IRRITATE MY VERY SENSITIVE SKIN (I CAN'T EVEN USE BAR SOAP, HAVE TO USE 'CETAPHYL' OR BABY WASH OR I GET A RASH) BUT IT COMPLETLY DRIED UP MY POISON IVY WITHIN 2 DAYS OF DABBING BLEACH ON IT WITH A COTTON BALL ABOUT 2 TIMES A DAY.

I FOUND OUT ABOUT THIS CURE AFTER MY SISTER IN LAW WAS PRETTY MUCH COVERED WITH POISON IVY, AND COULDN'T GET RID OF IT, THEN SHE GOT BLEACH ON HER ARM WHILE WASHING CLOTHES, AND THE POISON IVY DRIED UP WHERE THE BLEACH HAD GOTTEN ON HER SKIN, SO SHE DABBED IT ON ALL THE POISON IVY INFECTED AREAS, AND WAS ALL CLEARED UP WITHIN A FEW DAYS.

Chulo

I tell you one thing..the rubbing alcohol works wonders, but whoever told you it doen't hurt needs to get his/her head examined..it hurts like hell for about 30 seconds..THEN, you get the cooling sensation.

Anonymous

I put bleach on my poison ivy a few years ago and it didn't work. I told my doctor about it and he said I was lucky I didn't get some kind of blood poisoning, so I'm thinking it probably isn't a great idea.

Kat

Okay i have a question
I do not have a rash anywhere but on my head.
I have hair to between my shoulder blades and it is dark brown.
Help please with any ideas

matt

th rubbing alcohol just made my poison ivy spread twice as much and now i have scars of where it was

common sense

you seriously have to be mentally retarded if you rub bleach into a poison ivy rash on your own body.

Don

it even says on the bottle 'may cause severe irritation to broken skin' proboly not the best idea to do it voluntarily

Meg

I just got rid of my poison ivy after having a bad case on my arm. It didn't spread. I used the rag soaked in alcohol treatment. I rubbed it real hard. Yes it burns for a while but; then you get some relief. It busted all the blisters.My arm was red but it felt a heck of a lot better.It dried up quickly. The scars are just about faded. This worked good for me.

Randy

OK, Isopropyl alcohol is fine in moderation because it is specifically for wounds. But let me tell you what bleach does. Its a nasty chemical, it gets into your skin-which if you are very lucky wont immediately cause a chemical burn. But there are also chances it could hit your bloodstream depending on how much it soaked in or how deep the blister went. When this happens, it can be mild blood poisoning to life threatening. Science in general doesn't recommend bleach. Try using jewelweed or melaceucia tree extract (tea tree oil) it will work almost instantly and have the rash gone in a day or 2

Anonymous

I have used bleach in the past with success in the past. This last episode I think I may have used too much. It has actually spread the infection to other parts of my body. Be careful about bleach on open sores! I awoke in the middle of the night with the muscles in both legs hurting. Later the rash spread to my legs that did not come in contact with the poisin ivy. Delute it. Use it sparingly. And don't get any on an open sore.

Post a comment

Share your name (optional):