So I have had a shocking 2 years of vaginal grief and I have only just recovered! Here is my story in a nutshell:
I was unfortunately contracted an STI called 'Ureaplasma Urealyticum'. This infection caused my vaginal flora/bacteria to go all out of whack! So I had thrush, BV and urine infections all happening down there. To say the least, it was a fucking nightmare...
I've been to sooooo many doctors and 2 different gynaecologists.
I have calculated that I have taken 101 antibiotic tablets with in 2 years. They killed my STI, but they left my vaginas bacteria completely unbalanced.
This is what I did for 3 months to get to where I am today. It's not a quick fix, but I feel healthy and I've lost weight in the process (bonus):
* Cover and soak a tampon in natural Greek yoghurt and insert up the vagina DAILY (I leave it in for about an hour and did it morning and night). You can also freeze the yoghurt into finger shapes/sizes by wrapping it in glad wrap. It's a bit of a weird cool sensation, but less messy than the tampon method.
* Take probiotics religiously. Everyday. Don't forget. I also sometimes mixed probiotics with yogurt and inserted up my vagina.
* CHANGE YOUR DIET. Your vagina is a refection of what you are putting into your body. Say NO to alcohol, REFINED SUGAR, cheese, greasy foods. Say YES to vegetables, grains, nuts, fruits, NATURAL YOGURT.
* Cotton undies only. NO lacy sexy knickers or g-strings. Let your vagina get some oxygen and breathe!!!
* Clean only with water. Soaps from the supermarket are not designed for our sensitive vaginas.
* Keep a large bottle of salt water next the toilet. Use after urinating a couple times a day and before going to bed to wash away any irritating discharge. *1 teaspoon+2 litres water=works as a disinfecting cleanser.
*Take garlic tablets daily which provide antibacterial properties.
* Cranberry tablets daily which help reduce the adhesion of bacteria to the urinary tract.
* Chlorophyll tablets daily which helps to cleanse the body of toxins, and it works with the natural bacteria in the gut to support digestion and strengthen the body's gut flora.
* Drink shit loads of water. 2 to 3 litres a day. We want to completely flush our body of toxins and bad bacteria.
* Stay hygienic. I showered as soon as I woke up, before I went to bed and straight after exercise.
* Don't have sex while recovering. Let your poor vagina have a break hey? It's going through a tough time! Having a penis poking around up there is just going to irritate it, especially if he ejaculates inside of you. Even condoms can disrupt the vaginas natural flora.
* Stop googling. I would google every symptom I had and completely freak myself out and always thought I was going to die.
* Seek advice from a professional. This is my most important point. Not a local GP. Go to a gynaecologists!!!!! They know what they are talking about. For a WHOLE YEAR my local doctor said I had thrush, when really it was Ureaplasma Urealyticum. An STI that can go unnoticed and cause infertility. I just hope that one day in the future if I want to have babies that this hasn't broken that dream.
So that's what I did to recover, and I am still currently doing all of it today.
I hope you all the best. I know how you are feeling. It is very, very emotionally draining. Somedays I'd just burst out crying because I was so over it! I was quite depressed really. Not myself. Make sure you talk to a friend or family member who will be there for you and respect how difficult it is. Don't bottle it in. Stress never gets you anywhere.
Good luck x x x