My Home Remedies

Poison Ivy Home Remedy Comments

1 Comment for the Poison Ivy Home Remedy

Larry

Last year 2010 we purchased a new house and dreams of enjoying the natural view exciting.Noticing it had
poison ivy and sumac growing on the property . I was supposedly immune to the ivy so I thought and started pulling it out because my wife is very allergic to it.
Well after 60 years I found out that things have changed an I was now very much allergic to this weed.
Things went from bad to worse and after 7 days I was covered in the welts from the oils weeping from the at first few wounds I had , I was completely covered in the stuff and eyes almost swollen shut.
Going to the doctor I was given a very strong dose of predneszone 21 days and a needle of the steroid.50 mg's fr the first 5 days.It took almost two months before I was blemish free.
This year 2011 the march snows has just melted and I again went outside to clean the yard from all the damage caused from the winter winds.It took a rotten log covered in vines to infect me once again with the urisol oils of this ivy plant to one arm from my elbow to wrist.
This time I washed and applied the heat from the hair dryer to activate the histamines and stop the itch then with an alcohol wipe cleaned the affected area , let dry and covered with calamine lotion.
Hopefully knowing now what I went through last year I will be able to keep ahead of this allergic reaction to my body and to keep it from spreading.
The hair dryer does a wonderful job at
stopping the itch.
I have some Jewelweed seeds to plant this year so hopefully I can get a grip on the poison plants at my new home.
Love the itch

1 comment | Post a comment

Bob

Have you tried benedryl?
lots of good docs will give a shot and all welts will be gone in a couple hours. One quick treatment.
When I learned that from experience I started taking the pill after exposure. no welts. if i wait until welts apear it takes a couple doses and a few hours to be clear.
lots of my friends and family now do this and it's GREAT!

no toxic baths or painful decontamination scrubs or any crazy stuff like that.

Post a comment

Share your name (optional):