Large anal skin tag caused by childbirth, causing problems in relationship as I was do paranoid about it plus was a problem to keep clean. Visited doctors many time due to inflammation/bleeding, was refused treatment as seen as cosmetic??? Was so upset by it that I tied dental floss around it, used surgical spirit & 4 days on, kept it clean but got all inflamed and very sore! Embarrassing trip to doctors today, he had to literally dig the floss out and cut as very inflamed!! Risk of infection!! Didn't get base of tag and caused myself a whole lot of pain/sleepless nights & embarrasment!! Do not attempt to do this!!!! Bad bad bad!!!!
Thanks for all of the ideas everyone. Sounds like everyone's experience is a bit different? But here's mine:
1)I had 1 skin tag, about the size of a blueberry. My doctor said it had a tiny haemarroid in it. She wouldn't remove it - said she'd have to refer me to a surgeon ($$$)
2) tried tying it off. Got infected. Embarassing trip to the ER for antibiotics. Once it recovered was smaller, and haemarroid gone for some reason (?!!)
3) tried tying it off a couple more times. Either fell off, or got really painful and swollen (despite obsessive cleaning with antibacterial spray, keeping dry etc)
4) Finlly decided screw it, cut the bastard off. Took about 1.5 hours - could only cut a bit at a time because it was so painful and bled a lot (like a LOT). But finally, made the last snip and it was gone. I used really sharp and strong sewing scissors, and iced the area in between each cut to reduce bleeding. Also made sure I had some chocolate handy in case I got woozy! (didn't thankfully).
5) kept it clean, and it healed really quickly - no bleading after the first day, all good within a week.
6) still have a tiny stump, but other than that, totally smooth.
So, in conclusion: get it done at the doctors if you can afford it - it's embarrasing, but faster, easier and safer (given the infection risk of doing it yourself there's a reasonable chance you'll end up showing your butt to a stranger anyway, and at least if you just ask for it to be removed you won't have to give a sheepish 'so, I thought I'd try remove it myself' story). Otherwise, if you can handle it (ok with blood etc), honestly, cutting it off was less of an ordeal than tying it off for me.
Hope this helps someone, all the best!
I've been reading this forum for quite a long time, I got a hemorroid about 5 years ago and since then had three more. Each one has left a very noticeable skin tag, which is very embarrassing, I've very conscious of them and it was and still is very awkward during sex with my partner. He continues tell me they do not phase him and he does not care, but yet I feel they do! I've been to the doctors and have been supplied very various steroid creams and all sorts but yet nothing has happened so today I have decides to go with the tying off method. I have only tied one just to see if it works it's slighty uncomfortable but it's a pain I can deal with, it's an aching pain more than anything it's already swelled to a point where it's about 3 times the size, if the pain gets any worse I will take some ibrofuren or something but for now it later ok. I tied it as tight as I could and its home hard as well, hopefully this will work as its been a problem I've been so conscious about! So I will update in a few days to let everyone know the progress!!
I am soooo thankful for finding this page!!!
My story is just like many on here, so I won't repeat what's already been said about tying off anal skin tags.... But I wanted to add a note.
I used Dermoplast spray for the pain and it really helped. It was given to me in the hospital when I had my second child. (6 months ago) The nurses told me to use it freely in the area of my episiotomy. It's a pain relieving spray found at drugstores, about $8. Seriously worth it to have on hand when you start this process. And I used embroidery floss. (Only 3 strands out of the 6 in each thread). I wouldn't recommend dental floss bc it cuts into your skin too bad.
It's been 7 days for me and its dangling by a tiny piece... Should fall off tomorrow!